This workshop will prepare librarians and administrators to develop and implement strategies related to collecting and utilizing large-scale data sets, and managing Research Data.
The workshop will provide a broad overview of the topic, discuss relevant technologies and tools, and provide practical advice on implementation.
The workshop will cover the following:
- What are Big Data and Research Data?
- What qualifications and skills are required for dealing with Big Data and Research Data?
- How are Big Data, and Research Data managed?
- Case studies.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Develop strategies for their library or information center related to Big Data.
- Assess whether Big Data methodologies can be implemented in library services.
- Select tools and technologies for creating Big Data repositories, and perform analysis to extract trends and inform operational decision making.
An expert consultant with outstanding experience in converting Big Data to valuable knowledge in the information science field. This expert has broad expertise in library technologies, and is able to provide context and perspective on new areas of interest, such as Big Data relative to other strategic priorities.
The workshop will adopt and utilize the following forms and mechanisms:
- Working groups
- Training exercises
The workshop is suitable for:
- Middle-level staff of academic libraries (including librarians, system librarians, and staff responsible for technical and technological tasks).
Date and Time
- March 4–5, 2018 (Sunday and Monday)
- 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Grand Millennium Musca.
- SLA–AGC members: USD 350.
- Non-SLA–AGC members: USD 400.
- Includes workshop registration fees.
- Does not include SLA–AGC conference registration fees.
- Registrants will be responsible for their own accommodation, visa and flight tickets.
- Via bank transfer to the following account:
Riyad Bank – Malaz, Riyadh, S.A. – KSA
Account No.: 2860431149901
Riyadh Bank, Saudi Arabia
IBAN: SA63 2000 0002 8604 3114 9901
Swift Code: RIBLSARI
Beneficiary Name: Arabian Advanced Systems
Email the transfer receipt to: email@example.com
- OR cash payment upon arrival at the workshop venue.